With a collaborative and experienced staff, Lightways provides physical, emotional and spiritual support for patients with ALS through both our Serious Illness Care and Hospice Programs. In 2022, 55 people with ALS were in our care.
We’ll work together to determine the best care option for you. With both programs, it’s important to note:
- • Our focus is helping you manage pain and symptoms and providing support.
- • We come to you. Care is provided in the home.
- • Our services are covered under Medicare, Medicaid and most private insurances.
Our Serious Illness Care Program Includes:
- Nurse practitioners who work with you and your established providers on pain and symptom management
- NPs available 24/7 to consult on urgent needs
- Social workers who help with resources
- Nurse navigators who are available for phone check-in
- Grief counselors who support the family as you navigate the ALS diagnosis
Our Hospice Program includes:
- An RN case manager who leads your team and provides direct nursing care in the home
- Resources nurses who are available 24/7 to address urgent needs
- Respiratory therapist
- CNAs who assist with personal care
- Social workers who provide support and assure you have all the resources you need
- Grief Counselors
- Medical Director
- Integrative therapists including
- Music Therapy
- Massage Therapy
- A child life specialist who works with children impacted by your diagnosis to help them cope and grieve
- Access to TapCloud, an easy-to-use app that lets you check-in with your team, ask questions and report symptoms all from your smart phone
Serious Illness Care is an extra level of care and support to help you manage. Your existing medical team leads your care, but Lightways is the part of your team focused on managing your pain, symptoms, and providing support. While it varies from patient-to-patient, typically, you can expect 1-2 home visits and 1-2 phone calls per month from our Serious Illness Care team.
With our Hospice Program, Lightways is leading your care. While it varies by disease progression, you can expect 2 or more home visits per week as needed.
Understanding that ALS impacts the whole family, Lightways provides additional programs including:
A diagnosis of ALS impacts the whole family and with it, comes grief. Lightways is here to support the entire family on your grief journey. We understand the unique concerns of those grieving.
Licensed grief counselors provide individual and family counseling. Additionally, we offer a slate of workshops, support groups and special programs aimed at anticipatory grief, grief education, self-care during intense grief reactions, and developing coping skills that assist in working through the grief process.
Grief support services are offered in person at our Joliet facility or virtually. All services are provided at no charge.
Lightways volunteers are available for home visits for companionship or short-term respite for the caregiver. These 2-4 hour visits give primary caregivers time to take a break, run errands or rest without worry.
Lightways has been honored to provide services for thousands of veterans since 1982 and now enhances that care with the We Honor Veterans program. This comprehensive program focuses on respectfully celebrating veterans and providing care that recognizes the unique challenges that may exist in military families. This program provides care for those who served with the dignity and honor so richly deserved.
Pet Peace of Mind
Lightways is a member of the Pet Peace of Mind program through which we provide care for patients’ pets. Our volunteers assist with vet visits, grooming appointments and pet care when needed. We also help pets find a loving new home when necessary.