Who understands a veteran as well as another veteran who has “been there”? Lightways welcomes and trains veterans for a variety of volunteering roles including but not limited to:
- Visiting veteran patients and families
- Listening to life stories or recording veterans’ reminiscences.
- Participating in veteran recognition ceremonies
- Educating veteran groups on hospice services by speaking at their meetings
Special expressions of gratitude and recognition for veterans in our care are available upon request, in the form of a unique, customized “Pinning Ceremony”. This ceremony, performed by veteran volunteers, takes place where the patient resides.
The Lightways We Honor Veterans Program not only provides care for the veteran but for the family as well. This program offers assistance to the families in:
- Accessing military records
- Accessing VA memorial benefits
- Accessing VA burial benefits
- Supplying contact information for all other VA benefits that may be applicable
To request any of these veteran-specific services for a loved one, please contact your Lightways social worker or 815-740-4104.